Want to attract more patients online? Use these dental SEO marketing tips to grab the top spot of Google’s search results
How do you gain new patients in today’s world? Make it easy for them to find your practice online. However, it takes more than just having an “online presence.” You need to get in front of your target audience. That’s where search engine optimization (SEO) comes into play. Oh, and let’s be clear: dental SEO marketing is not just a fad—it’s an absolute necessity.
Your practice runs on the same principles as businesses—you need to market your services to gain new clients and grow revenue.
Maybe you know a little about SEO, but don’t have a clear idea of how to implement it for your practice. Here’s something most people won’t tell you: there are many different ways to “optimize” your web presence.
Do you want to see results? Then make dental SEO marketing a full-time commitment
- Learn the ropes yourself (you have downtime to kill, right?).
- Hire a marketing person for your practice (excellent choice, bravo).
- Outsource to a third party, like an agency, consultant, or freelancer (also a great choice).
Whichever option works best for you, go for it.
The bottom line: if you want more web traffic, more patients, and higher revenues, you’ll need to work at your dental SEO marketing full-time. But the returns are worth the investment.
Build an attractive website that converts web traffic into qualified leads
Before we get into the meat and potatoes of SEO tips, let’s first discuss the quality of your website. What’s the point of having web traffic if your website is not set up to convert viewers into leads?
Your website is the “online face” of your practice. Think of it as the final destination of your SEO efforts. Now that the traffic has arrived, what are you going to do with it?
If you hired a designer to make your site look visually appealing, that’s fantastic. But don’t forget about the main function—convincing viewers to set an appointment and become patients.
Here are the basic qualities your site needs to convert web traffic:
- Your site is responsive to mobile and tablet devices.
- It features a clear and easy to follow “call to action.”
- It includes basic web forms for people to fill out and submit.
- The site has testimonials from current patients for building trust and rapport.
- Your site offers useful and educational content that answers questions ahead of time.
Paid search marketing will drive in a ton of traffic for short periods
When it comes to SEO, there are two umbrella terms: “paid-for” and “organic” search marketing.
The first requires that you pay websites, platforms, or search engines for advertising. The price you’re charged is based on the number of clicks the ad receives. This is called “pay-per-click” or PPC.
Most dentists will use Google campaigns to target specific keywords with their ads. Our best advice is to hire an experienced marketer to run a campaign for you. If you want to go it alone, here are a few tips for getting the biggest bang for your buck:
- Advertise a specific promotion, feature, or benefit – not just your practice. Come up with an enticing reason for potential patients to click on your ad. Create urgency with a limited-time offer.
- Take time to research the keywords you’re targeting. Focus on the areas where your clients live and work. Find out what problem they’re searching for related to dentistry and provide a solution.
- Make sure you’re targeting the most relevant keywords. With Google Ad campaigns, you should be targeting “long tail” keywords. Suggestion: instead of targeting “dentists in CA” you should try for “affordable dentist in Orange County.”
- Build specific landing pages for your ads. When a person clicks your ad, she should land on a page that addresses her reason for responding. You want it to offer a solution, and make it easy to take action.
- Measure your analytics and make necessary changes. Watch for how many people are clicking your ad, how long they’re staying on the landing page, and how many clicks are turning into qualified leads.
Optimize your blog content to drive organic search traffic
Believe or not, a blog is one the best dental SEO marketing tools available. It uses content to drive targeted web traffic to your website. Similar to a PPC campaign, you target keywords that people are searching relevant to your services.
The best way to find these terms is Google’s keyword planner. It’s a free tool if you have a Google Adwords account. Search for a keyword phrase, and it lists the average number of monthly online searches, plus similar terms.
To figure out how many web pages are targeting those same keywords, type the phrase into Google’s search box with quotation marks.
For instance: search “where to find a dentist in California”. This will give you a ballpark idea of how competitive that keywords is, and whether it’s worth your time to target it in your blog content.
Pro tip: target “long tail” phrases that have less than 100,000 competing pages.
Okay, now it’s time to write your blog post. So, how do you write a post that drives clicks, views, and responses? Here’s seven tips on creating a high-performing content:
- Aim for posts between 600-800 words. Keep them short and use ample amounts of white space to make it easier to read.
- Try to instill your key phrase in the headline, subtitle, and at least twice throughout your content.
- Create a headline that’s catchy, benefit-driven, and under 70 characters long (so all of it shows in Google’s search results).
- Try to keep the tone of your piece informal and easy to understand. Don’t use a lot of technical language.
- Always include “anchor links” to relevant pages or posts. You want the reader to engage with your content again and again.
- Provide a call-to-action at the bottom of every post with a link back to your landing or relevant web page.
- Promote your blog posts over your social media pages and share them with people.
Your dental SEO marketing is paramount, but don’t forget about conversion rate optimization
Driving targeted traffic to your website is a fantastic way to gain more patients. Just make sure a conversion funnel is in place to capture those viewers and turn them into actual leads. Dedicate time to building a website that works in tandem with your PPC campaigns and blog content. Give your SEO efforts the best chances to convert and more patients will come your way.
Share your questions about dental SEO marketing in the comments!